Friday, September 26, 2014

Back to Work, BOSSES in ACTION

We put epoxy on the inwales.
After we spread the glue, we began to clamp the blocks for the inwales onto the skiff.  
Now we're scraping up the excess glue that squeezed out from the clamping.
Next, we used a jointer plane to even out the inwales with the planks of the skiff.
Then we started rasping the frames so the last piece of the inwales would fit.
We used a jigsaw to rough out custom sanding blocks for the breasthooks.  These will be used to sand the curves in the breasthooks.
After we roughed them out with the jigsaw we used a band saw to cut to the line.
IN ACTION!! After creating custom made sanding blocks, we used them to sand the curve in the breasthook.
At the bow, we glued plugs in to cover the screws.
FINALLY!! We glued in the last part of the inwales into the boat.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Ready....Set....SUMMER!

We used a bench plane to trim down the stem so that it will fit under the keel.
Here we spread the epoxy on the bow stem to make it stick to the inner stem. Cheeeese aye!
Between the blue pieces of tape we spread the epoxy substance on the front of the skiff so the bow stem will stay in place.  
After putting the epoxy glue on the bow stem at the front of the skiff, then we placed the bow stem into place.
We put two screws on each end of the keel and tied piece of string really tight to make sure the keel was nice and straight. 
In this picture, we taped along the keel so the epoxy doesn't get on the skiff when we glue the keel on.
We spread the epoxy substance on the keel and skiff and put the keel in place.

Friday, May 9, 2014

Float Your Boat

My classmates and I are painting the skiff with a special coat of bottom paint to prevent algae and zebra mussels from growing on the underside of the boat.
After bottom painting, we used a level to install the thwarts in the boat.
We continued to install the thwarts in the boat.
We installed the coxswain's seat and floorboard and the foot stretchers.
We used the sander to sand down tabs on the sides of the board.
We used a router to round over the edge of the rudder yoke.
We finally put the finished boat in the water and went rowing.
Still rowing with our oars, coming into the dock.