Friday, December 20, 2013

Framed Angles

We mentioned on our last post that plank two didn't fit at the bow and the stern.  The reason this did not fit is not yet clear to us, we have talked to Alec in Scotland and Gardner from Hewes and Co. in Maine. We all agree that this plank is an anomaly. This is our second St. Ayles, built on the same molds as our first. Our garboard plank laid on with little effort. We double checked the set-up, the scarph alignment on plank two, both seemed to be correct.  We glued up plank three, and fit on our strong-back with no issues.  Instead of forcing it down into place at the bow and stern, we decided to fix the problem by cutting the plank where it was lifting off the molds at Station one and two and Station ten. 
This proved to be a great problem-solving lesson for the students, and is all part of the joys of woodworking and boat building.  
To check how far it was off, we laid the port side bow section on starboard plank two.  You can see that if the plank fits in the notches at the bow, it starts lifting off the notches as it goes aft.
Close up of the plank at Station three and four.  
We stacked the plank pieces on top of each other and cut the scarph with a power planer. 

The cut is in between Station two and three, where the wooden handscrew clamp is.  The plank faired out and fits our strong-back.
We applied epoxy to handmade scarphes cut into the second plank. 
We applied epoxy to the "land" on plank one and the frame.  First, we spread unthickened epoxy to wet the grain of the wood, then we added thickener to fill any gaps.
We applied epoxy to the 2nd plank in order to attach it to the boat.  Success!

Friday, December 13, 2013

Mo' Planks Mo' Problems

Plank 2 did not fit on our setup at the bow and the stern, so we double checked the plank.
We were cutting the gain into the garboard plank.
We were measuring the brackets for the foot stretchers.  The foot stretchers are needed to put your feet against when you are rowing.
We had to cut the stretchers to length according to our measurements so the pieces will fit in the boat.
We were hand sanding the edges of the foot stretchers so that the varnish would stick.
We varnished the foot stretchers and brackets.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Getting To The Bottom Of It

We dry-fit both garboard planks on the boat to mark out where the epoxy goes.  This is also necessary to double check that the planks are fair along the set up, everything fits properly, and we have all the clamps and tools ready for when we glue. 
Still dry-fitting, we used the screws as clamps at the bow and the stern.  

We clamped the port side plank in place after the epoxy was applied.
Spreading the epoxy on the keelson in preparation for gluing the starboard plank on.
Spreading unthickened epoxy on the garboard plank.

We used screws as clamps until the glue cures.  We waxed the threads of the screws with beeswax to make them easier to remove.
Thanks to the generosity of the Erie General Electric Employee Community Service Fund, we have a new Sharp Aquos Interactive Touch Board.  We used it for blogging this morning.  Thank you!