Thursday, February 28, 2013

2 Stems Forward

We tightened the lag screws on the cradle using a ratcheting wrench.

We had to prepare for laminating the bow stem. We layed out 11 laminations and numbered them. In the background is our cradle.

We started putting unthickened epoxy on the laminations to soak into the wood. Then we put thickened epoxy on the laminations so that it fills in the gaps.

Once we applied the epoxy to the laminations, we instantly bent them over the bow of the boat. We put ratchet straps over the outer stem while the glue cured.

We finished putting all of the ratchet straps over the outer stem.

We started putting epoxy on the other laminations to make the stern stem.

We aligned the laminations at the stern stem using a rubber mallet.

We cut off the extra laminations using the Japanese Saw.

We are running the stem through the thickness planer to clean up the extra glue.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Still Prepping. . .

We made cradles for when we flip the boat. We made two cardboard patterns to fit the boat at different spots where the frames were so there was enough support.  Then drew it on 3/4 plywood and cut 4 of them out using a jigsaw. Using a chopsaw we cut two 2x4's at different angles to make a semi circle.

We are resawing laminations for our outer stems using a bandsaw.

We made 10 laminations and dry fitted them to the boat stem which are way too long. Now you can see what the cradle looks like on the boat.

We are planing a chamfer into the gunwales.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Prepping to Paint

We filled all of the screw holes with epoxy.  We are also working on the outer stems and the keel.

We were epoxying the scarph joints on our Gunwales. We made them out of White Oak.

We were using a jigsaw to cut out the cradle so the boat has a place to sit when we flip it over.

We used the plane to cut off the tabs on the footstretchers, breasthooks, and the coxswain seat.

We were sanding the boat to prep for primer.

Friday, February 8, 2013

We are famous!

We used the electric sander to sand the boat.

We were in the newspaper on Tuesday in the Life section of the Erie Times News.  
           To watch the video click here.

Friday, February 1, 2013

woo hoo done plankton

We glued the last plank on the port side.  We celebrated with donuts. 

We attached the plank on the port side.  This was one of the easiest planks to attach because of the experience the students had.

We clamped the final plank and cleaned up the squeeze out. 

We spread a fillet of epoxy on to all the planks to strengthen the joints and fill any gaps.

Erie Times News came to our school to photograph the progress of the boat. We'll be in the paper on Tuesday.